Hi there! Have you ever had one of those weeks where it seems like things are just slipping between the cracks? I’ve had one of those weeks–two trips to visit sweet daughter at college (one for needed “supplies” and another for a dance review), one day packing sweet mother for her move this Saturday, and some important ministry needs that came up.
Not to mention my ongoing craft show and blogging “day job.” Those are the two that slipped between the cracks this week. It’s 11:34 Thursday night and I’m just beginning to write this post, and I still have merchandise to price for the show and merchandise to package up for shipping. Say a prayer for me please!
Enough whining though, let’s get on with today’s project: vintage yardstick and scrabble tile Christmas ornaments.
Pretty cute, right? Whenever I use a vintage something for a DIY or craft project, it seems to really set off my creativity and often I can’t stop at just one project, but I am compelled to continue until I reach the very end of my ideas.
I had one red yardstick, which is what got me thinking along the lines of Christmas.
Whenever I see Scrabble sets at garage sales for a dollar or less, I pick them up to use in craft projects or to sell in vintage jars.
The first step for this project is to cut your yardstick the appropriate lengths. To the number of tiles you’re using add 1 and that’s the number of inches you’ll need for the ornament. So for the word “PEACE,” you’ll need 6″ of yardstick, for “NOEL” you’ll need 5″ and for “JOY” 4″.
Before you apply the tiles, drill a hole at the top and thread through a piece of baker’s twine for hanging.
To decorate the ornaments I added a berry and pine accent, using products I purchased at Consumer Crafts (not an affiliate, I just like their products).
I twisted two strands together, just under the berries and then cut them, leaving a good length of wire at the end.
Then I use the wire to hold together two 1 1/2 inch pieces of pine garland/pipe cleaner. Trim the wire and add a dab of hot glue to the back and press it onto the yardstick, just under the hole you drilled.
Now it’s time to add your Scrabble tiles, which is trickier than you might think. Because both the surface of the tiles and my yardstick were pretty slick, regular tacky glue did not hold them in place. My solution: I lightlly sanded the back of each tile, applied hot glue, and immediately pressed it into place on the yardstick.
I made eight ornaments out of that red yardstick and priced them at $5.00 each. They sold out immediately(!). Tomorrow I’ll be bringing up another batch made with a yardstick that had some red writing on it. I’ll post a photo of them soon.
As always, I get a thrill out of using vintage materials to create something new and interesting, hopefully attractive and useful, too. I think these fit the bill.
Thanks so much for stopping by–
If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you follow me by email.
Sign up and never miss a post.
Bye for now,
See what I’m selling from