Hi everyone! I hope you had a great week-end. I made a trip out to my antique booth at the Gristmill Antique Center on Friday to restock and redecorate. Saturday was a lazy day followed by dinner with friends. Sunday after church, I sped north to Glens Falls to take my sweet mother to lunch and to hit a Rembrandt and Durer exhibit at The Hyde Collection. It was fabulous, and I’ll share our afternoon with you sometime soon. Today I have a desk makeover that has been a long-time coming. I wanted to paint the body of the desk but leave the top unpainted. Best laid plans and all of that. I finally gave up and painted the entire piece black. I couldn’t be happier with the results(!).
The entire desk ultimately received one coat of Americana Decor chalk paint in “Carbon” followed by a coat of Minwax polyurethane.
I bought this desk some years ago, always intending to give it a makeover, but never getting around to it. Part of the problem was deciding what to paint, what-not-to-paint, and what color. I bought a temporary replacement desk last spring at the Habitat ReStore for $10.00, while this baby has sat in my foyer for, oh, about 4 months now(!). Sad but true. It’s a nice sturdy little piece, but it has certainly seen better days.
I finally decided to strip the top and paint the bottom. I bought a can of spray-on stripper, applied it, and scraped off the old finish–twice, but was not happy with the unevenness of the color. While the desk is solid mahogany, the tone of the wood after stripping was extremely uneven and therefore unattractive. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.
I decided, in the end, to paint the entire piece black using the Deco Art chalk paint. I distressed the high points with sand paper to let some of the mahogany color show through and then gave it a coat of poly. Though I am a big wax fan, I have found that on black paint it is terribly difficult to get an even, clear finish with wax, so I’ve begun to use polyurethane (in satin) over black paint.
As you probably noticed, the brass pulls were almost black with age and I decided to polish them up a bit.
I soaked them overnight in a mixture of lemon juice and salt. This served to loosen the grime and tarnish enough so I could then polish them with MAAS, which cleans, polishes, and protects.
When I tried cleaning with just the MAAS, I found the pulls too heavily tarnished; I would have been rubbing for hours. But the lemon and salt worked their wonders, and then the MAAS finished the process beautifully.
I really like how they brighten up the desk.
Here you see it in our office; it’s the desk my husband uses (occasionally). [He prefers to utilize his iPhone for most of his internet needs.] But it also holds all of his office supplies and various files that he needs access to. It looks so much better now; once again, it’s amazing what a bit of paint will do…
Thanks so much for stopping by today to take a look at my desk makeover.
If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you follow me by email.
Sign up and never miss a post.
Bye for now,
Always adding new merchandise!
Our vintage link party opens Thursday at 8 am–