Through the years I’ve heard many times that meekness is power under control. Okay, so Christian “doormats” do not necessarily reflect meekness. Neither do people who lack confidence or those who say “yes” all the time or those without opinions.
- Promote other people by speaking positively about them and working for their good,
- Defer to the wants and desires of others–putting them before their own,
- Honor the various authorities whom God has placed over them,
- Respond gently when corrected or criticized,
- Live in harmony with others to the best of their ability, and
- Avoid selfish ambition.
After considering this list and imagining what a person committed to following it would look like, I realized that such a person would be very strong, powerful even. They would exhibit extraordinary confidence, knowing exactly who they are in Christ. A person well-loved and cared for has nothing to fear or lose by exhibiting meekness with others, only the opportunity to build strong, loving bonds with them by putting them first.